Saturday, June 09, 2012

Money Questions! 5 for Friday by J. Money

Long time no love! It's great to be around here again! I have loads to update and not all of them are bad news, unfortunately though, not all are good news either ;( But I'd like to start things with a fun-tastic post!

I've been an avid fan of J. Money of Budgets are Sexy (RSS subscriber like a ninja, I always await for his posts on my Google Reader because he's bringing sexy budget back!) for quite some time now, and I've always loved his tone of voice and his very enthusiastic approach to handling his personal finances. He is one of the reasons why I'm enthusiastic about my finances, too :)

So he just posted My Curiosity With Your Money Continues [5 For Friday] and I smiled despite being swamped with work right now. I am going to try my hand at this:

Here are today’s 5 for Friday questions… made up totally from my head, without thinking of my own answers first so I can be as fresh as you are when answering these bad boys… sometimes I even stump myself! ;)
  1. What was the last thing you wasted money on?
  2. What was the last thing you got a great DEAL on?
  3. How much money is in your pocket/purse right now?
  4. Would you skip work for the rest of the day if I gave you $100?
  5. Did you buy Facebook stock? Are you going to buy any Facebook stock?
  6. **BONUS** Barack Obama walks into your room and tells you you’ve got 1 hour to do whatever you want with him – how do you spend that time?

So lets have a go at it. I'm going to be very candid here.

1. What was the last thing you wasted money on?

I wasted money on earrings. Useless, ugly earrings. It cost just a bit more than PHP 1,000 (USD $23) and I am not even an earrings kind of girl (well, I can wear earrings, but I'm the simple stud earrings kind, not a swirly sparkly drop earrings girl) To add insult to injury, the earrings were made only of rhinestones and Indian gold, which I am pretty sure that I could get in other stores for just under PHP 300 (USD $7)

I could've avoided wasting money if only I didn't go to a boutique in the mall and tried to inspect a very nice bracelet. If only the pair of earrings that were haphazardly placed BESIDE the bracelet didn't fall onto the floor and have a rhinestone pop out!!!!!! Sigh.

I went and paid for it even if I didn't even go as far as to touch the earrings which fell down because if I won't an unlucky salesguy would shoulder the cost of the accident. It wasn't a pleasant experience, but I already vowed never to go to that nasty store again with their nasty and overbearing supervisor who had no ounce of logical understanding and sense of customer service. In the end, I gave the earrings to my mom.

2. What was the last thing you got a great DEAL on?

I think I got a great deal on my little painting desk. An ordinary study desk made from corkboard which was sold for about P1,900 (USD $44) I got a good discount off it since the mall held a 1st-of-the-Month-Sale and there was 20% discount on furniture.


I saw a study table that I liked, which was compact and sturdy. I wanted to have a "painting table" to support my re-emerging love for watercolors. It's nice to have an area where I can just relax and paint when I can find the time. It's pretty nifty too.

Since making my room, I've only had a few furniture inside it, and I longed to have another table aside from the computer table so I saved up a bit over the past weeks. Thank goodness Mike was on the hunt for a nice business desk and a new bed foam, so I was able to sniff out some good deals, too! From PHP 1,900 I got it for PHP1,500 :)

3. How much money is in your pocket/purse right now?

Right now? A little less than PHP 10,000 ($232)  and I dearly wish I can say that ALL OF THAT IS MY MONEY! Haha! Majority of that money is Mike's and from two of my co-workers. I have Mike's rent and his insurance money (Yes, I am the keeper of some of his finances.)

Some money is from two of my co-workers since they just paid me the money they swiped for Amazon.com, we all bought new headsets! It's so exciting and thrilling! Mike bought an Audio-Technica ATHM40FS Precision Studio Headphones, I bought AKG K-44MKII Headphones and two co-workers bought a JVC Xtreme-Xplosivs Earphones!


We got a HUGE HUGE deal on these last month, since the headphones alone are about 40% cheaper when bought from Amazon.com than in local stores! This is my "promotion" gift for myself. And also I need new headphones because my speakers at home died on me. Well, where was I, oh yeah, I have about PHP 800 on my pocket for my own spending ;___;

4. Would you skip work for the rest of the day if I gave you $100?

No, because if I skip work, I would lose out on the PHP 1,200 (USD $28) monthly incentive my company gives if an employee perfects their attendance for the month, an additional PHP 3,600 (USD $83) if the employee has 6 months of perfect attendance, PLUS! an additional PHP 7,000 (USD $163) for a year's worth of perfect attendance... I am already qualified for the 6-month incentive, so yearly is the final one! :D

So I would refuse the $100 as it is no match for perfecting my attendance and getting PHP 22,600 (USD $525) LOL :)))

5. Did you buy Facebook stock? Are you going to buy any Facebook stock?

No, I haven't and I can't and even if I could, I wouldn't. I don't have a personal Facebook, I only keep a dummy one to talk with my videography team and some of my bestest friends. BUT! Mike and I were seriously talking into venturing in stocks and trading this year as soon as Mike completes his emergency savings fund. We are going to buy stocks!

Well THAT'S it! I'm not going to answer the bonus one because I wouldn't know what food to serve the US President Obama when he comes here! So much press in my little house and all those police and cars outside our little street! I doubt Obama likes the rice cakes I love so much. But I have tea, he may like that. But I only have tea bags, I bet he likes loose leaf :(

Thanks so much for reading!
It feels really great to be here again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in your advice, comments and greetings! :)