Friday, July 15, 2011

Back to School: Education is an Investment

Some months after March 25, 2007, the day I shyly but proudly walked up the stage to receive my University diploma (which turned out to be just rolled A4 paper lulz) I immediately thought of ways on how to find work so I can pursue my career and start earning for myself. But even then, I really wanted to go back to school.

After four years of working, I have now the chance to go back to school again. It's not a Masters or any prestigious post-graduate studies. I'm currently enrolled in Nihonggo I, under the Mindanao Kokusai Daigaku system. I've always loved learning the Japanese language and have been self-taught on Nihonggo since sixth grade. I was so glad for this opportunity to formally study the language. It was so fortunate that the 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM class schedule worked so well with my 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM work schedule and add the fact that the school is just across the street where I work! Something tells me the world has finally conspired to give this to me. Finally. Finally.

Me and My Classmates on 7/7/2011 - Tabanata Day!

Wishes on Bamboo branches, traditional symbols of Tabanata day

Added my wish on it too! I hope it comes true~

It's been over a month now, and we have four more months to go for this 5-month language class. I think going back to school is a great way to be able to take a break from the monotony of work, with plus points of being able to pursue hobbies and ambitions that have long been buried in resignation. Now I've re-ignited that desire! I really wanted to travel and visit Japan, and I think this is a great way for me to do it, so once I take a vacation, I would be able to fully immerse myself in the language and have a deeper understanding and appreciation of their culture.

For such a fantastic opportunity as going back to school and learning a new language, I am only paying P1,000 per month, after the registration fee of P1,000. That's about P6,000 in total for the 5-month language class, two hours a day, three times a week.  There are miscellaneous things that can add up like my required books which are:
Nihongo I and Nihongo II - P700.00 (P350 x 2) 
But I don't mind at all. These books are already a steal compared to a 500-peso or 1,000-peso book that I would not fully appreciate and use anyway. These books are very user-friendly and understandable. It's really made for a classroom setting.

I also had to adjust my allowance as well to be able to eat out (instead of eating at home) because once our classes ends at 7:30 or 7:40, I usually end up very hungry. I am trying to figure out something as a workaround for this though:
Dinner (Eat out) - P50.00
I will try and find alternative food, like bringing 2x Banana bread P15.00 which I love eating, to help stave my hunger until I get home.

I really like all the things I'm learning so far! I can finally say I've completely mastered the Hiragana and Katakana characters, and I have added new Japanese words and phrases too! I can now ask questions properly, understand the answer to the question, give directions, receive instructions and so many more.  In some ways, I felt like I invested in myself and my dreams, which gives me a very fulfilled feeling!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Send in your advice, comments and greetings! :)